Monday, November 2, 2009

Inattentive ADD surfaces yet again...

I'm feeling like such a schmuck right now. I borrowed a key to the nail file office from the other office worker for the weekend so I could show my family the warehouse sale stuff on Sunday. The agreement was I would put the key in a hiding place when we were done so the other office person could open the door at 9 when she came in to work. Well, we ended up not going to the warehouse yesterday and I totally forgot about returning the key. So I got a call from the OWNER this morning, asking me where I put the key.

It's.....still....in....my...purse.

Ugh.

So, another behavior modification to put in place. Next time (although I don't think I'll do this again any time soon) I'll make a calendar entry in my phone that will make an alarm sound that says "Return key". My cell phone is becoming a good tool to use for remembering things and keeping information organized and in a place I can refer to. I almost always have my phone with me so it's cool that it has a calendar, an alarm and a notepad.

ADD is a challenge but isn't crippling. I just have to find different ways of doing things. It's just a bummer when it's effects cause negative consequences for others. ADD is not an excuse, but it's an explanation. I just have to continue to work at managing it.

Behavior modification is such a big key to Inattentive ADD. So is acknowledging the truth. The truth is, my brain just works differently! So, if I acknowledge this and not lie to myself, things are much more manageable. For instance, it is a lie to think that I will remember where I took my shoes off when I want to put them back on - so I have to put a behavior modification in place and tell myself that I must NOT take my shoes off until I get to the established shoe place!! Speaking truth to myself has really helped with things like this - until I come across something that I haven't acknowledged yet - like what happens if for some reason I don't go to the warehouse so the trigger isn't there that will tell me I have to leave the key so the door can be opened in the morning.

So, I'm 48 and still learning :) I'm glad I still have the capacity to learn!

1 comment:

tess said...

I can relate!!

Tess