Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day!

So, in my 'before coffee' state, I'm pondering the words "May Day" and wonder - If May Day is somewhat of a holiday, making it a positive thing, then how did it become a distress signal??

So I Googled it :)

The Mayday callsign was originated in 1923 by Frederick Stanley Mockford (1897–1962) [4]. A senior radio officer at Croydon Airport in London, Mockford was asked to think of a word that would indicate distress and would easily be understood by all pilots and ground staff in an emergency. Since much of the traffic at the time was between Croydon and Le Bourget Airport in Paris, he proposed the word "Mayday" from the French m’aider. "Venez m'aider" means "come help me."
(Gleaned from Wikipedia)

Innnnnnnnteresting..... It has nothing to do with May Day. So, then I pondered again (it's what I do...) and wondered why Fred didn't propose "MaiderMaider" for a distress call! Then I realized what I'm sure Freddy thought of all those many years ago -- If someone on a ship were to yell "MAIDERMAIDER!!!!" At least one officer is going to come running and yell - "Dust calm down, stop imadining things an' dust get your dob done!"

heehee

Get it?????? If not, let me know and I'll post why it's funny (or at least why I think it's funny). ***Giggling***

Maybe it'd be best for me and everyone around me if I go get some coffee now...

No comments: